Women’s Health West invites you to take part in a photo competition to celebrate the lives and diversity of the women who live, work or study in the western region
- Theme: Equity and justice for women in the west: through women’s eyes
- Open to Women who live, work or study in the western region of Melbourne
- Deadline: 15 February 2013
- Prize: Win an ipad!
You don’t have to be a pro, just take a photo of what represents equity and justice (or inequity and injustice!) in your daily life.
The image could be about the gender pay gap, housing, public transport, employment, education, racism and discrimination, disability, poverty, social isolation, family violence, gendered stereotypes and gender roles or anything that you’ve noticed affecting women in the western region.
Have you experienced any of the following?
- 33.6% of women in the western region have a weekly income of less than $300 (compared to 23.1% of males)
- Only 48.8% of all females in the western region feel ‘safe’ or ‘very safe’ walking alone at night in their local area compared to 79.3% of males
- Across the western region women are far more likely than men to undertake 30 hours or more of unpaid domestic work (13.6% compared to 2.7%)
- Women constitute 83.8% of the single parent population in the western region
- 12.2% of women provided unpaid assistance to a person with a disability compared to 8% provided by men
The winner will be selected using this criteria:
- How well the photo represents equity and justice (or inequity and injustice) for women in the west
- Impact, composition, colour, clarity and creativity
- Female (defined as all those who identify themselves as such)
- Live, work or study in the western region of Melbourne (Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Melton, Moonee Valley, Wyndham)
How to enter
Email your image to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Name, address, email
- Whether you live, work or study in the west
- Attach image (minimum 1 Mb, maximum 5 Mb)
- Brief description of your image (30 words or less): Why did you choose this image? How does your image show equity and justice (or inequity and injustice) for women in the west?
Terms and conditions
- The entrant grants Women’s Health West permission to reproduce the image on this website and in material promoting the competition and the organisation
- The entrant must be the creator of the image and own the copyright of the image
- The entrant must have gained permission of people in the photograph to take picture and submit for this purpose
- The entrant indemnifies Women’s Health West against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of publication of the image
- The decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into
- A maximum of 4 photos will be accepted per entrant
- Winners will be announced online and notified by email
- WHW staff can enter but are ineligible for prize