Where will I live?

Women’s Health West hosts a range of services for women and children affected by family violence in the western region of Melbourne. We can help you find a house, help with rent and support you to stay in your own home if it’s safe enough.

Private rental brokerage

This program can help you stay in your area in private rental housing. We offer a limited rental subsidy with support so that you can continue to pay rent once the subsidy ends. You may be eligible for assistance if you:

  • Discuss your options with a worker and complete an assessment
  • Have recently left a situation of family violence
  • Do not spend more than 55 percent of your income on rent
  • Want support to recover from the family violence you have experienced

The subsidy cannot be used for bond, rent that you owe or rent in advance.

Culturally and linguistically diverse crisis housing

If you are from another country and are escaping family violence we can organise short term crisis accommodation for you. You’ll be supported by the CALD crisis housing worker. She can speak with other services for you and provide:

  • Emotional support and counselling
  • Help to make you and your children safe
  • Court support including helping you apply for a court order so that the person hurting you or your children leaves the home and/or stays away from you
  • Links to services that can help

If your first language is not English, the worker can use an interpreter and can help you look for support services in your own language.

Safe at home

This program supports you and your children to stay at home and have the violent person leave. Staying in your home reduces your risk of homelessness, disconnection from jobs, community, school, friends, family and other support networks.

A place to call home

This program also aims to reduce homelessness by providing secure housing and a long-term support worker.

How to contact these programs

Contact Women’s Health West at any time for information and referral to these and other services.

  • Send us a confidential email to fvassist@whwest.org.au
  • Call us for information and referral during business hours on 9689 9588
  • If you need support outside business hours, call 9373 0123 or 1800 015 188
  • If you need an interpreter, first call the Telephone Interpreter Service (24 hours) on 131 450. They will connect you with the service you want