Going to court

Family violence is against the law. If there is evidence to show that a family member or partner has hurt or threatened you, the police can charge them with a crime (like assault, threats to harm or property damage).

You can also apply at your local Magistrates’ court or at the police station for an intervention order to protect you.

The Magistrates’ Court have a virtual court experience and a video with a special family violence intervention order section to show you what will happen in court.

We can support you at court

Don’t go through this alone – get advice and support. Women’s Health West offers a court support program which provides support at court if you are seeking an intervention order.

This service is available at Sunshine, Melbourne and Werribee magistrates courts.

Our skilled and trained court support workers can help you to understand the court process, help to assess your safety and risk, and refer you to Women’s Health West and other services.

We can help you with contacting police, and in most cases we can organise financial help with the costs of changing locks, or moving home.

To find out more or access this service, phone us on (03) 9689 9588.