The Court Support program at Women’s Health West is part of our Family Violence First Response team. The program provides information and support for people involved in intervention order related matters at the Sunshine, Werribee and Melbourne Magistrate’s Courts. Our Senior Case Manager can provide information on how to navigate the court process, undertake risk and safety assessments, as well as make referrals to other programs at Women’s Health West. We can also provide information and support about how to apply for an intervention order.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic all in person hearings at Magistrate’s Courts across Victoria, will now be listed for hearing online, or by other remote means. This means that people will not go to court and everyone will join in by video (phone, laptop, tablet ets.) As a result, the court support program is currently not available onsite at the Sunshine, Melbourne and Werribee Magistrate’s Court. Information and support is currently available via phone, email, SMS or onsite at the Women’s Health West office.
How can we help you?
When we speak with you, we will:
- Respectfully listen to your concerns and assess your level of risk.
- Help you explore your options and think about what to do next.
- Help you to understand Intervention Orders and the court process, if needed.
- Support you to complete the online Intervention Order application, if needed.
- Provide information and support to apply for a variation, withdrawal, or extension to an intervention order.
- Work with you to create a plan for you and, if appropriate, your children to stay safe.
- Put you in touch with other services if you would like additional support, such as legal assistance, housing, counselling, or financial help.
- Refer you to other programs at Women’s Health West, such as Case Management or Children’s Counselling.
- Provide a basic security response, such as a locks change.
- Liaison, advocacy, and information sharing with the family violence police liaison officers, courts and other professionals as required.
- Let you know how to re-contact our service in future if you need more information or support.
Who can access the program?
The court support program is available to those residing within the western metropolitan region of Melbourne and,
- who have upcoming or pending intervention order hearings with Sunshine, Werribee or Melbourne Magistrate’s Court, or
- who have questions about the process and are thinking about applying for an intervention order.
How can I make a referral to Court Support?
If you would like to refer yourself, or someone you are working with, please contact Kate B, our Senior Case Manager, on one of the following methods:
Phone: (03) 9689 9588
SMS ONLY: 0437 377 140
Note that our Court Support operating hours
vary across Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 6PM.