Young women’s leadership, community advocacy, human rights and carers support are some of the focus areas of our projects in 2016. Here’s a handful of programs you can get involved in this year. If you need more information please call us and email us, we’d love to help you out.
PROGRAMS FOR YOUNG WOMEN…
Who’s it for: Culturally and linguistically diverse young women aged 16-24, studying, living or working in the western region of Melbourne
What’s it about: This free, six-day leadership program allows young women to make friends while:
- Participating in workshops on topics including public speaking, healthy relationships, mental health, media and self confidence
- Learning about event management and planning an exciting event for the end of the program
- Being supported to participate in community and leadership activities in the future
Details: 18-22 January (9.30am – 4.00pm) and 25 January (11.00am – 4.00pm) 2016
Who to contact: Nirvana via email or call on 8379 9041
Young African Women’s Project
Who’s it for: Young African women who live, work or study in #Melbswest!
What’s it about: Learn about sexual and reproductive health and wellbeing, and build your confidence in leadership and advocacy.
Who to contact: Call Shukria on 03 9689 9588 for more details about joining this great project running in January
PROGRAMS FOR MUSLIM WOMEN…
Who’s it for: Muslim women from the Horn of Africa living in Melbourne’s west
What is it about: The women who participate in this project will:
- Receive human rights-based advocacy training
- Be supported to manage their own community advocacy projects
- Develop skills, knowledge and connections that will assist them to take up further employment, study or volunteering opportunities
- Be reimbursed for their time and travel. Free childminding will also be provided if needed.
Where: Somewhere central for participants (tell us what works for you)
Who to contact: Call Susan on 9689 9588 or send an email
PROGRAMS FOR WOMEN LIVING WITH A DISABILITY, MENTAL ILLNESS, CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITION…
Who’s it for: Women of all ages living with a disability and/or mental illness
What is it about: It’s a fortnightly social and supportive get together to help women feel connected
We also have a new Sunrise Women Carers Group in Melton, open to women who care for someone with a disability, mental illness and/or chronic health condition.
Where: Laverton, Melton, Sunshine and Wyndham
Who to contact: call Lauren on 9689 9588 or send her an email.