It’s time to take action on homelessness. The Vote Home campaign is committed to ending homelessness by 2025, and it needs our support.
It’s got Women’s Health West’s support.
Sign the Vote Home petition and send the following messages to government and all of Australia’s political leaders:
- Let’s get a national strategy together and end the housing crisis by 2025
- There is no place for homelessness in Australia
- Everyone deserves a place to call home
HERE’S 12 REASONS WHY WE ALL NEED TO SIGN THE PETITION AND TAKE ACTION…
1. Every night, more than 105,000 Australians don’t have a place to call home. That’s one in every 200 people
2. The majority of people who end up homeless are fleeing domestic violence or family breakdown
3. Today a home costs nine times the median house – hold annual income, and in some places, even more; 30 years ago the same house cost only three years annual pay
4. The income-to-home ratio keeps increasing, making home ownership difficult or impossible for much of the population
5, Countless women and children stay in violent homes because it is so hard to find affordable houses to rent
6. Renting is increasingly unaffordable. In the last five years capital city rents have risen at twice the rate of inflation
7. Over 150,000 people in private rental are paying more that 50 per cent of their income on housing costs, even after receiving rent assistance
8. In the last five years capital city rents have risen at twice the rate of inflation
9. Australia has a shortage of over 500,000 rental properties that are affordable and available to people on a low income
10. There are more than 200,000 Australians on waiting lists for public and community housing
11. There is currently no national strategy to address housing and rental affordability. Current federal policies are making the housing crisis worse. This must change. With bipartisan support we can make sure every Australian has a safe and secure place to call home
12. If every Australian had access to an affordable home the community would be a safer and more equal place
Don’t we all want to live in a society that sees no one homeless and where the great Australian dream of having a place to call home is within reach? Sign the petition.
Find out more about Women’s Health West’s housing programs and services.