Going to court

Family violence is against the law. If there is evidence to show that a family member or partner has hurt or threatened you, the police can charge them with a crime (like assault, threats to harm or property damage).

You can also apply at your local Magistrates’ court or at the police station for an intervention order to protect you.

The Magistrates’ Court have a virtual court experience and a video with a special family violence intervention order section to show you what will happen in court.

We can help you

Don’t go through this alone – get advice and support. Call our family violence service. We can help you with contacting police, and we can support you if you go to court for an intervention order. In most cases we can organise financial help with the costs of changing locks, or moving home.