Family violence is when a partner or family member hurts you, or tries to dominate you and control what you do.
Family violence is a crime. If you are ever in immediate danger, call the police on 000.
Family violence includes physical acts like hitting, pushing, smashing things or locking you in.
It can also involve:
- Stopping you seeing family or friends
- Pressuring, tricking or forcing you to do sexual things
- Threatening to hurt you, your kids, family members or a pet
- Calling you names or deliberately making you feel bad
- Stopping you having any money
- Constantly checking where you are, what you’re doing and who you’re talking to
These things can hurt you just as much as physical violence.